How to Handle Uncommon Situations
In today’s world, it is given there are as many different car seats as there are vehicles and children. Child Passenger Safety Technicians (CPSTs) are trained to gather the facts and present options to caregivers when assisting in the installation of car seats.
Use these basic tools to guide your decisions:
- Vehicle and car seat instruction manuals and phone numbers to vehicle and car seat manufacturers
- Technician Guide
- Other CPSTs, either on site or on the phone
No CPST knows every car seat. When you encounter a car seat
you have never seen before, don’t panic. Start from the beginning:
- Familiarize yourself with the type of car seat it is.
- Read the labels on the car seat or the instruction manual to determine the age, weight and height parameters.
- Use the instruction manual to guide you with the correct installation and use of the car seat.
Learn more: Key CPST Reminders. Break down barriers: Translate child passenger safety terms from English to Spanish.