Where to Begin
Read the manufacturer instructions for your car seat or booster seat, as well as for your vehicle
- Ensure you are installing your child safety seat correctly in the vehicle
- Ensure you are securing your child in the car seat, booster seat or seat belt correctly
How Much Does Your Child Weigh? How Tall is Your Child?
When choosing a car seat or booster seat, keep children in each phase of protection for as long as possible through the upper weight or height limits of your child safety seat
- NHTSA offers steps you can follow to find the right child safety seat and to use it correctly to keep your child safe
- Four Car Seat Types
- Understand parts for installation
Meet with a Technician
- Parents and caregivers are encouraged to meet with a nationally certified Child Passenger Safety Technician to learn how to correctly use car seats, booster seats and seat belts for all passengers in their vehicle
- Register your car seat or booster seat with the manufacturer
- This allows you to receive recall and safety notice information so your child can remain safe.
- You’ve taken steps to protect your family by making sure everyone is properly restrained. Now check to see if your vehicle has any open recalls.
- Takata recall spotlight: Tens of millions of vehicles with Takata air bags are under recall and pose a very serious threat to safety. Is your vehicle one of them?